I have finally gotten around to blogging about MY FIRST GARDEN!!! I am sooo excited to be doing it this year, and Kenny was so wonderful in helping me build a cute, little raised garden. It took some time to figure out what I wanted to plant seeing that my family doesn't eat anything colorful. (Except Skittles) But I finally narrowed it down to tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, cantaloupe, and red bell peppers. I had a ton of help from my friend Chandelle, the gardening goddess as I think of her:) Here are the first pictures of it once we planted the tomatoes. This was April 15th.
Here are the strawberries. I put them in pots, but next year I will do them in the garden! They seem inhibited in the pots:)

So, here are some pictures on the first day I got produce out of it! This is May 20th. You can also see where I added the rest of the plants.
And FINALLY, ...(drumroll please)..., Here are my peppers today (yes, I planted red, but for some reason they are green).

And here are my tomatoes after a serious trimming! I didn't realize I could trim them and they were taking over my whole garden. They were as tall as me, and bending over big time. So I trimmed them and hopefully that helps. I have gotten around 20-30 cherry tomatoes so far and 1 big one. I LOVE it!
Ok- yes I admit those are cheap curtain rods you see. We had these left over from our apartment days and I needed something to help prop up the plants and Kenny was at work. I tried splitting wood, but I totally messed that up so I improvised! Not bad huh, they actually work really good. Next year I will know more and I will absolutely buy the big tomato wire things!
TADA! My first zucchini! (Chandelle will be jealous) It's beautiful, and I have another little one on the way! I was worried I wouldn't get any, but here we are!
Here's a picture of the garden today- it looks a little wilty because it was like 100 degrees and I had forgotten to water that morning- whoops!




7 comments:
Beautiful garden! I wish mine was so weed-free. And your little red but still green peppers? They WILL be Red Peppers when they grow up, or maybe I should say, once they Mature. Kinda like me going gray -- heehee
:~D
I LOVE THE CURTAIN RODS. I love how idustrious of you it was to think of that I love that it is something our husbands would never think of doing I just love how it made me smile when you documented that.
By the way...if you have any extras from that pretty little garden of yours we love home grown veggies.
PS. I think your pepper might turn red if they're on the vine long enough.
Go Missy! I can't wait to plant a garden too. Maybe in Germany? Hopefully your kids will eat all the yummy vegetables now that they planted them (well you planted them!)
*Wow you have a green thumb! Don't you love having a backyard! HEy what are you guys having b or g
So... would you like me to take a pic of mine and make you feel REALLY good about yours - it looks so great! And yes Red peppers are just "ripe" green peppers... :) Did you know that a lime is an unrippened lemon :) **fun fact from your big sissy**
By the way - have your kids been collecting bugs in their little bug house... fun!
Nice Garden! I want someday to plant one of my own- the time will come though. Enjoy all the yummy food!! Jenny
Post a Comment